The special hospital in the village of Liško conducts a hospital healthcare activity and specialist – consultative healthcare activity in the field of diseases of the respiratory system as well as pulmonary and abortive tuberculosis. The hospital made its start in 1946 and has survived to date under different names
Earth sanatorium – Lesok
On June 21, 1946, the Ministry of People’s Health of People’s Republic of Macedonia, in one of the quarters of the monastery complex “St. Atanasij “in the village. Lesok – Tetovo, founded the so-called “Sanatorium” with a capacity of 70 beds.
The beginnings of the work of the sanatorium are closely related to the name of primarius Dr. Klimentje Milosevic, a phthisiologist, a former physician at the Royal Court in Belgrade, originally from Ohrid. Due to the lack of staff in the then Republic of Macedonia, at the request of the Ministry of National Health, Dr. Milosevic was sent to Macedonia. Primarius Dr. Klimentje Milosevic as the first manager of the Earth sanatorium organized the work in extremely difficult conditions but still with the laborious work successfully cured patients from all over Macedonia, neighboring Serbia, but also from other republics. The monastery lodgings became narrower so that they could respond spatially to the growing needs of the increasing influx of the sick. For those reasons, in the southern part of the monastery complex in 1951, a new facility was built as a modern hospital with a capacity of 100 beds.
Special hospital for tuberculosis – Lesok
Immediately after moving to the new facility, the Sanatorium was renamed to the Special Hospital for Tuberculosis, which functioned under the guidance and supervision of the Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of Macedonia.
In 1951, the new purpose-built building was universal, but its capacity did not meet the needs for treating tuberculosis patients. Because of this, tin huts in the hospital’s yard were installed, which increased the capacity to 120 beds.
With the decision of the Government of the People’s Republic of Macedonia from 01.07.1953, the Tuberculosis Hospital passed under the direction and supervision of BN of Tetovo Borough until 31.12.1954.
After the departure of Prim Dr Klimenti Milosevic, the Leshok hospital remained without a phthisiologist. The National Council for National Health of the People’s Republic of Macedonia, with a new decision of the Government, took the Special Hospital for Tuberculosis under its supervision until June 30, 1958, and it was provided by the medical staff. Thus, in the period from 1953 to 01.05.1958, in the Special Hospital for Tuberculosis in the village. Lesok worked several doctors for a limited time: Dr. Lj. Kotevski, Dr. T. Pozharenkov, Dr. K.Minchev, Dr. T. Lazov, Dr. R. Nanovik, Dr. G. Karagotsev, Dr. B. Tsipushev, Dr. Z. Zakharievsky, Dr I. Trpenov and Dr. S. Zoycheva. During the stay at the hospital, each of the doctors was appointed as a Manager, and despite the treatment of the sick, he was forced to solve all the administrative, material, financial and organizational problems of the institution.
Hospital for breast diseases and tuberculosis – Tetovo
In the 70s, the transformation of the phthisiological into the pneumophytic activity began. This change is followed by changing the program of specialization, as well as with a new orientation in the work of the previous antituberculous dispensaries and special tuberculosis hospitals.
On 05.11.1979, the Special Hospital for Tuberculosis was re-registered as a Hospital for Breast Diseases and Tuberculosis “Tetovo” in the village of Leshok, thus expanding its activity. The number of treated patients from nonspecific lung diseases was increasing.
The work of the Hospital was satisfactory, with a tendency of increasing the number and type of health services it provided, but a major obstacle to development was that the work was taking place in an already ruined object, which was also dislocated from the administrative center.
At that time, the hospital provided hospital and specialist consultative health care for patients with pulmonary tuberculosis and other lung diseases. For its activity the hospital had 1530 m2 total area. In the hospital hospital there were housed: specialist consultative ambulance, spirometry department, ECG, laboratory, bronchial department, male and female department, while the X-ray and physiotherapy department were located in the mounting barracks.
Since 1982, until its integration with the Medical Center Tetovo, the Director’s Office was Dr. Spaso Krstevski, who made a special contribution to the affirmation and development of the hospital and opened the doors to several young doctors. In 1983, Dr. Dzevdet Bexheti was employed at the hospital who, after completing the specialization in internal medicine, left the hospital. In 1986, Dr. Stojadin Naumovski, senior researcher, graduated from the hospital for about two years and left for the United States.
In 1988, in order to enable increase of the capacity and quality of the hospital according to the evident needs, Dr. Maja Zakaska, Dr. Ismail Vajti and Dr. Elizabeta Trajkovska were admitted to the hospital.
At the referendum conducted on January 12, 1990, the hospital was integrated with the PHO Medical Center Tetovo, after which the hospital continued to function as a dislocated department, namely PE FOR WHOLESAL DISEASES AND TUBERCULOSIS IN THE COMPOSITION OF PHO JU MEDICAL CENTER TETOVO
At this time of work at the hospital were: Dr. Gjorce Jovanovski, Dr. Spaso Krstevski, Dr. Dzhezdet Bexheti, Dr. Maja Zakoska, Dr. Ismail Vaiiti and Dr. Elizabeta Trajkovska.
In the period 1992-1995 Dr. Gjorche Jovanovski was director of the PHO Medical Center Tetovo and Dr. Spaso Krstevski and Dr. Femi Demiri his assistants.
At the hospital in the village. Leshok left Dr. Maja Zakoska as a specialist pneumothymophysiologist and Dr. Ismail Vaiti, as a doctor of specialization.
TERMINATION OF THE WORK OF THE HOSPITAL IN LESHOK
On July 24, 2001, the hospital stopped working because of the worsening security situation with a military conflict, but the staff continued with outpatient visits until 23 July 2001, when he left the hospital shortly before the expulsion of the population from the village. Lesok.
The building of the hospital in v. Lesok was repeatedly demolished, damaged and the inventory was taken away, leaving the remains of the hospital completely ruined, destroyed and unsuitable for work.
PHI Special Hospital for Lung Diseases and TBC – Lesok
Today, the Hospital is a reality is a reality
Dr. Ismail Vaiti as an Assistant Director of the Medical Center Tetovo from 2002 to 2006 invested considerable effort for the renewal of a hospital in Leshok and its re-separation into a separate legal entity. A new hospital has been built in correlation between the Governments of the Republic of Macedonia and Norway. It is an independent legal entity registered as: PHI Special Hospital for Pulmonary Diseases and Tuberculosis.
The new facility of the hospital was built near the old, northwest of the monastery complex “St. Atanasij “, with an area of 1,380 m2.
The current building of the hospital was completed in 2006 and was handed over in July 2007 and until then Director of the hospital was Dr. Ismail Vaiiti.
The hospital started its work on September 1, 2007. and Dr. Verica Tofilovska is appointed as the new Director of the VD. The hospital operates only with two doctors specialists Dr. Ismail Vajti and Dr. Femi Demiri The new facility was built with modern equipped hospital rooms, outpatient clinics, and other auxiliary facilities that were a challenge and an incentive for a new successful start. Today, the hospital has 45 beds, of which 40 for non-specific diseases and 5 for tuberculosis. There is a specialist-consultative clinic in the hospital. Diagnostic methods are used: RTG pulmo, spirometry, ECG, ECHO and Laboratory.
From 04.08.2016 Dr Emerald Waiti was appointed as the new Director of the hospital.
With his arrival, the Director began to implement several projects in order to enable greater adaptation to the needs of the patients and modern trends in health. An elevator and an elevator window was built which facilitated the patient’s inward transport, thus allowing significantly better access to the hospital in general.
The land is bought to the hospital, which increases the area of the yard of the hospital, with the purpose of its hardening and construction, to create better conditions for treatment and rehabilitation of patients.
The director’s commitment to meet the quantitative and qualitative needs of providing specialist assistance in the treatment of patients contributed to the employment of two other doctors Dr Djevdet Bexheti, a specialist in internal medicine, and Dr Nikica Panova, a specialist in radiodiagnostics.
Today, the hospital enables the provision of quality health services in an unusually pleasant setting, and every day, it strives to preserve the proven through years of success and the growing number of satisfied cured patients. The hospital justifies the recognizable image of a modern hospital that meets all the standards of a modern and functional hospital for the successful treatment of patients with lung diseases.